Wednesday, September 19, 2012

There's no Such Thing as a Stupid Question

“Hey, I have a quick question."
“What’s up Jules”?
“I am making this fish dish, and the recipe says to broil it. How does one broil a piece of fish”?

She paused before she slowly spoke into the phone, as if she were waiting for me to start laughing and tell her I was kidding.
“Uh… well, you, uh… press the broil button that should be near the oven clock.”
“Oh. I see it. Imagine that! Thanks."

And just like that, at the age of 34, I broiled my first piece of fish.
I've always had the cleanest kitchen out of all of my friends, simply because I never used it. I lost that bragging right last year after I was diagnosed with chronic Lyme disease. The past fifteen months have been very tough physically and mentally. In addition to feeling lousy and taking copious amounts of antibiotics daily, I've been attempting to adjust to lifestyle changes and food restrictions that I was strongly urged to follow as part of my treatment. 
Since 2001, when not at work, I've been balancing training for triathlons/marathons, socializing all over Washington DC and going on adventure vacations that many would not consider a vacation. These activities have been put on hold and I anxiously wait for the day they can resume. In the meantime I am extremely lucky to have wonderfully supportive family, friends and colleagues, who have been there every step of the way with me. It’s been a long journey for all of us; sadly there is no expiration date on a chronic disease so they need to remain on call. Finding humor in my health issues and my cooking mishaps has been a good way to remain laughing and mostly positive while adjusting to everything.
Don’t know much about Lyme disease? You can Google it. Or you can just follow my blog which will be a lot less scientific and more fun to read.

10 comments:

  1. Yeah! Blog up and running. Even if you aren't, your blog is--awesome! I look forward to posts to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Julie! Looking forward to reading more of your posts- miss you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! The long awaited blog is finally here. Now I have something to do while at work...get writing =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm so glad you finally decided to do this! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my vacarious life style has just improved by leaps and bounds

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to reading about all your crazy adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog title and can't wait to read more of your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait until your health allows you to write more about whiskey than lyme! Soon Jules!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl...I still can't believe you did all this while having Lyme Disease... use that "y" in the word to put a slice of lime on the rim and knock back a few!

    ReplyDelete